[antlr-interest] ANTLR Works and compiler settings...

Rob Greene robgreene at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 21:13:16 PDT 2006

Is there a trick to getting ANTLR Works to compile a grammer and working in
the debugger?

When I have com.sun.tools.javac selected, I get the following error:
"Compiler exception: com.sun.tools.javac.Main"

When I have javac (but not path) selected, I get: "Compiler exception:
CreateProcess javac -classpath ... error=2"

When I have javac with path to Java 5.0, I get: "Cannot launch the
debugger.  Time-out waiting to connect to the remote user." and the console
shows:
    [23:10:34] Note: C:\Temp\ANTLR\BasicBasic.java uses unchecked or unsafe
operations.
    [23:10:34] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
    [23:10:41] Launch with path
=C:\Temp\ANTLR\classes;C:\Temp\ANTLR\antlrworks-1.0ea8.jar
;C:\Temp\ANTLR\antlrworks-1.0ea8.jar;.

Does the Java code generated work with Java 5.0?  (Yes, I do get java files
created.)  Do I need to downgrade to Java 1.4 while developing in ANTLR
Works?

Besides that, this has a lot of promise.  I'm hoping that once the debugger
is functional, I will be able to actually run the grammar against a file and
see whatever output I need to produce?  Is ANTLR v3 considered stable enough
that I should use that, still as a beginner, over v2?

Thanks!
-Rob