[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3 & hidden token management?

Kay Roepke kroepke at classdump.org
Mon Aug 7 01:49:19 PDT 2006

On 7. Aug 2006, at 10:39 Uhr, Martin Probst wrote:

>> I think the syntax is pretty consistent and powerful. Not hard to
>> remember, and not hard to learn.
>
> Well, consistent maybe, but a syntax that uses ! ^ ^^ $ { } ( ) | -
> >, i.e. nearly all symbols imaginable, is certainly not easy to
> learn and remember. However that is in the nature of grammars,
> everyone uses RegExp syntax to be more concise (or something?), so
> not going with the others would probably be more irritating than
> anything else.

mmmh. I think regexp syntax is used because it is widely known. It is
a concise way of describing things, yes, but I still maintain that it
is not hard to learn.

The basic syntax of matching things is not really difficult. Ok, the
concepts of predicates need a bit intuition, but still I find them
consistent and their symbols pretty easy to remember.

My question then is, what in particular do you guys find irritating?
(Maybe I do you wrong, Martin, and you don't find it confusing, but
the question remains ;))

-k