[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3 & hidden token management?

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Mon Aug 7 14:46:40 PDT 2006

On Aug 7, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Sean Walton wrote:
> Here is the foundational difference between the industry and
> academics.  This is far from "beta" stability.  I regularly crash
> the thing, and functionality is less than consistent and stable.

The release says "crashes still if you give it bad code", which you
do all the time.  I have the warning on there that it's mainly for
experienced ANTLR folks.  I use it all the time and it works great,
but I know what valid input is.  This is just not fault-tolerant yet
with a few known issues I'm trying to track down.

> After working with ANTLR, I was very surprised that this version
> was given a major version number (without even an 'a' or 'b'!), and
> "early release" is simply not descriptive enough.  (How would the
> Java community react if 1.6 crashed all the time! How would
> Microsoft react??).  I know that major version numbers indicate a
> complete change or overhaul to the tool, but it also indicates a
> certain level of stability.

It purely indicates complete overhaul.

Ter