[stringtemplate-interest] RE: [antlr-interest] Antlr 3beta2 and StringTemplate

Scott Amort jsamort at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 06:36:29 PDT 2006

Hi Kay,

Kay Roepke wrote:
> Could you give me a link to a good C++ reflection framework? I'm not a
> heavy user of C++, so I don't have
> an overview of that field.

One of the one's that comes up often (and was trying to get into Boost,
IIRC) is Reflex:

http://seal-reflex.web.cern.ch/seal-reflex/

But I think there were some problems with it.  Unfortunately,
portability is also a big issue as most of these frameworks depend on
gccxml (which seems to be very out-of-date and no longer actively
developed with a last release in early 2004), and hence gcc.

> FWIW, I plan on doing an Obj-C version, so I don't know if the necessity
> of a C++/Obj-C hybrid version arises.

I'm quite keen on a C++ version, and have been hacking away at it for
the past week or so.  I haven't reached any of the really hairy bits
yet, but I think it is definitely possible.  However, like Michael
suggested, the major headaches will come with cross-platform and
cross-compiler support.

Regarding a C++/Obj-C hybrid, although I'm all for saving doing the same
work twice, I would suggest that in the long run it is likely easiest
(and more maintainable) to focus on a single language choice (i.e., make
a C++ port *and* make an Obj-C port).

Best,
Scott