[antlr-interest] ANTLR v3 compatible with GPL?

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Mon Aug 14 05:38:14 PDT 2006

Hi,

> I have read on the antlr.org that ANTLR v3 is BSD licensed. Does that
> mean that is incompatible to the GPL and therefore can't be used with
> GPL'd applications? That would be a big drawback from ANTLR v2 for,
> probably, several apps.

Just out of interest, why? (as in why would this be a drawback?).

Given that alternative codegens and runtimes can be developed for whatever
targets one desires in ANTLR v3, I don't see how the ANTLR tool's license
impacts on the use/licensing of any generated code and/or the [possibly
custom] runtime library.

Micheal