[antlr-interest] Antlr 3.0b3: lexer super class & "all" scope suggestion for @header

Richard Musiol mail at richard-musiol.de
Mon Aug 14 14:52:31 PDT 2006

Terence Parr wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2006, at 9:30 AM, Richard Musiol wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tired to migrate my current project to ANTLR 3 today, but it already
>> failed at the beginning. The current beta 3 hasn't got a way to change
>> the super class of the lexer. This is important to me, when will it be
>> possible?
>
> Added to list.

Thanks.
I saw your comment "Must be separate grammar to use?". Why don't you use
two options like lexerSuperClass and parserSuperClass or something like
that?

>> Another thing I want to suggest is an "all" scope for the @header
>> property. I think @header is mostly used for the package declaration
>> and some imports. These are typically the same for lexer and parser,
>> so why should I write the code twice in a mixed grammar.
>
> Imports can be very different.
> Ter

Yes, imports can be different, but it does not hurt if you import some
more classes which you only need in the lexer also into the parser.
Users of my software will write grammars and some additional classes
themselves, so one of my goals is to keep their code at the smallest and
easiest level possible (that's why I'm really interested in ANTLR 3.0).
I think I'll implement this on my own, you've got more important things
to do for the 3.0 final than this one.

Bye,
Richard