[antlr-interest] ANTLR v3 compatible with GPL?

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Tue Aug 15 13:34:21 PDT 2006

Hi Scott,

> > GPL'ed applications can have binary dependencies. Ergo, many GPL'ed
> > apps run on (i.e. have a dependency on) Windows, OSX and/or
> Java for
> > instance. That being the case, the dependency of a GPL'ed
> application
> > on the ANTLR v3 runtime library is a non-issue as one can always
> > distribute the runtime library binaries with the GPL'ed application.
>
> I don't believe this is true.  Here is a quote:
>
> "It has always been the FSF's position that dynamically
> linking applications to libraries creates a single work
> derived from both the library code and the application code.
> The GPL requires that all derivative works be licensed under
> the GPL, an effect which can be described as 'hereditary.'"

The FSF statement above is advocating free software. It also says that
derivatives of GPL works must also be GPL. Nothing about external library
dependencies.

> Dependencies on Windows, Java, gcc, etc. fall under the following GPL
> exception:
>
> "However, as a special exception, the source code distributed
> need not include anything that is normally distributed (in
> either source or binary form) with the major components
> (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on
> which the executable runs, unless that component itself
> accompanies the executable."
>
> So, if you are linking to an external library, it must be
> either GPL or GPL-compatible.

Not really. You just need to insert an exception notice for that library in
your license (as with source code works, the copyright owner's permission is
needed for distribution).

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#FSWithNFLibs

The above exception is required in the GPL itself else the GPL would be
irrelevant. I'm guessing no one would use it if they had to distribute an
entire OS/platform with every GPL'ed work.

> ANTLR v3's license is the
> 'new' BSD license, however, and as such, is compatible with the GPL.

Yes, in as much as it doesn't prevent the re-licensing that GPL requires for
source code works.

Micheal