[antlr-interest] ANTLR v3 compatible with GPL?

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Tue Aug 15 13:34:21 PDT 2006

Scott,

> Oops, one more point:
>
> On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 16:37 +0100, Micheal J wrote:
> > AFAICT, the source licensing issue is only relevant if the
> intention
> > is to RE-LICENSE the ANTLR v3 sources (tool and runtime)
> under the GPL
> > as was common with the ANTLR v2 sources.
>
> Yes, and this is what happens if you link to ANTLR v3's
> library from GPL-code.  You are in essence re-licensing it as
> GPL (which is allowed by the new BSD license, and which is
> why that license is compatible with the GPL).
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesCompatMean

Not if you link to the ANTLR v3 binaries. Only if you wish to include the
ANTLR v3 sources in a GPL'ed program. You need to re-license to satisfy the
GPL requirement that all derivative works (of a GPL-licensed work) must also
be GPL. Actually that should be "must also be available under the GPL". They
may be simultaneously available under other licenses.

Micheal