[antlr-interest] Language Translator

Andy Tripp antlr at jazillian.com
Thu Jan 19 08:00:49 PST 2006

Paulo Bengero wrote:

> Hi guys! I'm new here. Its my first time to post. I was able to
> discover this mailing list because im working on my project which is a
> english to japanese language translator (vice versa). At the same
> time, I would need to do grammar checking using CFG(Context Free
> Grammar). I was asked to do this using java. Honestly, I'm quite
> comfortable in Java, but I'm having a problem interpreting what CFG is
> all about and how I will be able to relate CFG with the actual grammar
> checking? Can anyone provide some inputs as to where I can start? I
> sure hope that I posted in the right mailing list. Thanks!

> Yahoo! Photos
> Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/*http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/evt=38087/*http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//page?.file=calendar_splash.html&.dir=>.
> Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Paulo,

Keep in mind that natural language translation and programming language
translation are two completely
separate fields, each with their own set of tools and techniques. I had
spent some time
investigating whether it would be possible to use NLP tools to translate
between programming
languages. Sounds like maybe you're thinking of going the other way. My
general feeling is that
you'd have a very difficult time using the very strict "compiler-type"
tools like ANTLR to process
natural language. Better to use the NLP tools out there. They have a
completely different approach.

Andy