[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.0 beta 2 released

Michiel Vermandel Michiel_Vermandel at axi.be
Thu Jul 6 00:00:50 PDT 2006

Hi Ter,

I might be overlooking it but I did not see any announcement on the b2
release in the news section of the antlr.org site.
Just an idea?

Regards,

Michiel

Terence Parr <parrt at cs.usfca.edu>
Sent by: antlr-interest-bounces at antlr.org
06/07/2006 01:28

Antlr Interest <antlr-interest at antlr.org>
cc

Subject
[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.0 beta 2 released

Hi,

After a furious coding session, 3.0b2 is available.

http://www.antlr.org/download/antlr-3.0b2.tar.gz

The changes:

http://www.antlr.org/v3/README.txt

It is getting pretty damn good.  Here is my brand new Java 1.5
grammar (some of it Java spec was typed by Dieter).  Very close to
spec with bugs fixed and some clean up and LL-sanitizing:

http://www.antlr.org/grammar/1152141644268/java.g

The new feature (a big one) is the backtrack=true option for grammar,
rule, block that let's you type in any old crap and ANTLR will
backtrack if it can't figure out what you meant.  No errors are
reported by antlr during analysis.  It implicitly adds a syn pred in
front of every production, using them only if static grammar LL(*)
analysis fails.  Syn pred code is not generated if the pred is not
used in a decision. This is essentially a rapid prototyping mode.  It
is what I have used on the java.g.  Oh, it doesn't memoize partial
parses (i.e., rule parsing results) during backtracking automatically
now.  You must also say memoize=true.  Can make a HUGE difference to
turn on.

Enjoy.

Ter
PS               Progress is being made on other targets but nothing
complete yet.