[antlr-interest] ownership/rights for wiki content

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Fri Jul 28 10:36:02 PDT 2006

Hi,

My current strategy of BSD license for ANTLR and my insistence on
contributors guaranteeing that they have the rights to contribute
their work has led to many more (big) companies being able to use the
new ANTLR.  Previously the weird "almost public domain" license
bothered some companies.  More importantly, however, they wanted
signatures from 15 years of contributors indicating nothing had been
stolen from elsewhere and put into ANTLR (tainting source code).
Think "SCO linux lawsuit".  My new feedback page circumvents this
legal issue.

Anyway, as I intend to write a book which includes the raw reference
manual that we are building (I note some serious contributions from
Kunle last night!  Thanks!), I will need to have the right to do
that.  I am proposing an identical "certificate of origin with teeth
(indemnification)" (that all major code contributors will have to
sign shortly):

http://www.antlr.org/ANTLR-contributor-agreement.pdf

So for the wiki, you would guarantee that you are not copying
somebody else's work into the wiki and that you grant the antlr
project license to publish the work without compensating you.

If we can agree on this, then I will alter the wiki signup to include
this "click-wrap license" just like I have on the bottom of the
feedback page:

http://www.antlr.org/misc/feedback

So, you will still own your work but you are granting me a license to
publish it or whatever.

Yes, this legal crap is a pain but is a reality today.  I'm about to
close a deal with a big player if they think that the contributor's
cert. of origin is ok; so, this stuff really matters and is good for
the project.

Terence