[antlr-interest] Java To C compiler

M. Rangnathan mranga at nist.gov
Sun Jun 4 22:38:57 PDT 2006

Are you really sure java.util is straightforward?  Unfortunately,
reflection turns out to be widely used in java programs. For your
solution to be attractive (to me anyway) you have to work out a total
solution (that includes all the functions of  the jvm) and then you may
find you are replicating the java virtual machine in c++  :-) oops. What
actually makes java powerful (at least for me) is precisely things like
reflection and classloading.  Things like garbage collection are
conveniant but not really essential. A good c++ heap checker and new and
delete work fine. Indeed gc is a hindrance to real time Java.  Java's
power is all in the runtime. Not in syntactic structures.

 How does your translator deal with classloading? What has been your
most ambitious translation project to date ? How many java loc, what
does the program do and how do you verify correctness?

Ranga

--
M. Ranganathan

Advanced Networking Technologies Division,
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST),
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8920, Gaithersburg, MD 20899.
tel:301 975 3664 , fax:301 590 0932 http://w3.antd.nist.gov/
Advanced Networking Technologies For the People!