[antlr-interest] (follow up) setting, altering text in lexer rules

shmuel siegel antlr at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Mon Jun 12 17:42:03 PDT 2006

Terence Parr wrote:

> Well the ! thing has always been a pain in the ass ;)  I'd rather opt
> for speed for now with a workable solution and see what happens in the
> future. :)
>
> Ter

I, for one will really miss "the ! thing" when dealing with strings. It
is much easier to adjust the end pointers to strings than it is to
create a new string as a substring. Can we at least have that feature
for 3.0, i.e., the ability to throw away beginning and ending character
sequences. Forcing the programmer to manipulate strings will more than
throw away any perceived time savings that you think you will be
achieving by avoiding this case, not to mention making the programmer's
job harder.