[antlr-interest] related master's thesis ideas...

Kaleb Pederson kibab at icehouse.net
Thu Mar 2 21:21:15 PST 2006

Hello all,

I'm getting close to the point where I need to start working no my master's
thesis and am throwing around some ideas, so I thought I would see what
suggestions some of you might have.

Here are a few thoughts that have crossed my mind, each of which somehow
relates to parsing or compiler design (in no particular order):

1) Incremental parsing (specifically for not re-parsing an entire file, for
example within an IDE).  This could be interesting, both in theory and to try
to make Antlr support this.

2) Create a static code analysis tool, probably to handle C/C++ code although
if I used the right IR trees, it could probably easily be expanded to other
languages fairly easily.  This would probably also present the ability to
create a mini-language of sorts, something that would allow you to create
specific test cases that the programmer was interested in, with a certain
standard set of featurs.

3) Something with Antlr-v3 and probably/hopefully Python ;), perhaps wrapping
the C/C++ generated code so that it can be used as an extension module,
assuming they were considerably faster than the regular Python one (only real
reason to do such)?

I'm sure there are other things that will cross my mind at some point, but
those are the first ideas that have crossed my mind (that I can still
remember).

Right now, I'm looking for an idea that I will enjoy but also allows me the
chance to do both theory and coding.

Ideas?

Thanks.

--Kaleb

PS: Ter, I hope your dvorak skills are coming along.  I switched to dvorak
about two and a half years ago (maybe three now) and I'm probably 20-40%
faster than I was back then, and I was quite capable then.  It's definitely
worth it (although the efficiency takes a while to pick back up)!  Keep at it
and good luck!