[antlr-interest] related master's thesis ideas...

Kaleb Pederson kibab at icehouse.net
Fri Mar 3 17:48:25 PST 2006

On Friday 03 March 2006 9:27 am, Terence Parr wrote:
> Prashant  and I are going to be  publishing a paper on this soon so I
> would work on something else. ;)

I must not have been born soon enough ;)

> > 3) Something with Antlr-v3 and probably/hopefully Python ;),
> > perhaps wrapping
> > the C/C++ generated code so that it can be used as an extension
> > module,
> > assuming they were considerably faster than the regular Python one
> > (only real
> > reason to do such)?
>
> Perhaps evaluating rewrite systems for v3 like
>
> "int <ID> = <expr>;" -> "int <ID>;\n<ID> = <expr>;"

I haven't played with v3 yet (ok, well I have within the bounds of
AntlrWorks :).  Weren't you going to be generating ASTs of some sort that
would then be fed into different StringTemplate's, in which case the
transformation would be written there, or as this inline with the grammar or
something such?  Sounds interesting and useful :)

>   thanks for the encouragement.  I memorized the keyboard and one
> point five hours but am having difficulty getting my efficiency up.
> Are you able to use emacs with the new keyboard too?

Able, yes but I certainly don't when vim's available!! ;) I remember it being
a pain at first, but after a while it's second nature.  Some of the
combinations are awkword and some are better... but that's to be expected.

Thanks!

--Kaleb