[antlr-interest] antlr3, no class such as ANTLRInputStream...

Martin Probst mail at martin-probst.com
Fri May 12 00:42:23 PDT 2006

Hi,

> BTW, to get on topic again, how does Java (= the library) deal with
> encodings? Is that something that's built in, or does one have to
> hack around a lot?

Actually, it's built in in a way that makes it a real pain not to
handle it, normally. In Java you have InputStreams for binary and
Readers for characters. You can only create a Reader from an
InputStream by specifying the charset (well, or leaving it to take
the platform default).

My general impression is that those encoding issues are a much bigger
problem on Windows than on any other platform, with Cp1252, UTF-8,
UCS-2 etc. mixed heavily. Most Linux systems I've seen simply use
UTF-8 or ASCII (for old systems).

Martin