[antlr-interest] Seeking jEdit Mode Definition for ANTLR v3.0

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Fri Nov 10 18:33:28 PST 2006

Terence,

On Friday 10 November 2006 17:15, Terence Parr wrote:
> Hi Randall,
>
> You'll enjoy ANTLRWorks:

I have it installed and am using it to explore and validate my grammars
(as well as using CLI to compile them), but I'm reluctant to do major
editing in something other than my favorite editor.

I use jEdit for all my major editing (and Vim for some things for which
its global editing suits me better). In contrast, I use Eclipse for
quickly fixing Java coding errors and <oXygen> for editing XML schemas
and, I expect, ANTLRworks for ANTLR-specific activities.

The thing is, purpose-built editors such as ANTLRworks and <oXygen>
emphasize their domain and not general-purpose editing. As such, they
usually disappoint me (in the editing department) while proving very
productivity-enhancing w.r.t. to their domain. That's why I split my
activities between editing in jEdit and various domain-specific
activities in the special-purpose tools.

So I'd still like to have a syntax mode for ANTLR (v3--there is a v2.x
one already), and if nothing turns up, I may try creating one myself,
though it's rather arcane and I have little experience with it and am a
total newbie to ANTLR...

> http://www.antlr.org/works
>
> New version coming shortly (next week).

I've got it set to check daily.