[antlr-interest] Using the ANTLRworks Debugger

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Sun Nov 19 12:04:46 PST 2006

Terence,

On Sunday 19 November 2006 11:50, Terence Parr wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2006, at 11:40 AM, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Well, that's not really true. No other lexer rule matches what
> > SingleQuoted does, since SingleQuoted starts with a single-quote
> > (') only and no other rule allows a single quote as its first
> > character. So
> > how could there be a conflict?
>
>   not sure, but that is the only explanation.  You should look for a
> rule that does not specifically mention the single quote such as
> something that uses the wildcard '.'.

Well, I've checked again, for the 17th time, and there is no such
conflict.

There is a lexer rule called Period whose right hand side is simply '.'.
I put a backslash in (though my understanding is that a dot is only a
single-character wild-card outside of a quoted string) but it had no
effect. There was an (unused) lexer rule fragment called PrintableChar
which was indeed simply a wild-card dot (no quote marks of any sort).
Removing this rule did not change the diagnostic.

Randall Schulz