[antlr-interest] String lexing and partial tokens

Loring Craymer lgcraymer at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 16:27:17 PST 2006

--- Jim Idle <jimi at intersystems.com> wrote:

..
> You can  ask Jim Idle about that, but we decided to
> use methods for
> setting the text rather than implementing ! which
> makes everything
> inefficient. I could swear there was something in
> the documentation.

! in the lexer does not "make everything inefficient";
you just have to be smart about the implementation.
The lexer editing via ! that is currently in the
Yggdrasil 0.5b releases (I'll have b2 out soon) costs
about 5-10% (rough estimate from looking at generated
code); once I can analyze which rules edit, that drops
still further.

--Loring