[antlr-interest] ANTLRWorks1.0b6 New useability annoyances

Andrew Smith asmith at moncons.co.uk
Tue Nov 28 11:17:40 PST 2006

Hi Jean,

A preference setting for the Output directory sounds like a very good
solution and better still if it is to be implemented on a "per grammar"
basis. The solid gold solution would be to have the directory set on a
"per grammar" basis and the preference to offer the choice between the
dialogue being shown on every generation versus the change dialogue
being only offered when a new grammar is being edited, but the silver
level suggestion above would be  comfortable to work with.

Incidentally, today on my setup the windows seem to remember their size
and position. Could this be affected by syntax errors in the grammar
being loaded? I have noticed before, without being able to produce
simple test cases, that there seems to be a correlation between V3
grammar correctness and the reliability of ANTLR/ANTLRWorks. As a rough
example, checking a grammar of about 200+ rules containing a dozen or
more errors will lead to a fairly close approximation to an infinite
loop and with some types of error - possibly such as omitting the
terminating semi-colon of an action sequence to be used as final code -
then ANTLR/ANTLRWorks will fall into some sort of trap where the
Analysis section is never completed, though oddly enough CPU usage may
be very low 0 - 2%. Both these effects are seen only with ANTLR v2.7.7
or v3.0b5, not earlier ones, and I suspect that Terence has activated
rafts of error checking code which is either new or was being skipped
before.

After the first paragraph these are merely random thoughts and can be
ignored.

Thanks for your responsiveness,

Andrew Smith