[antlr-interest] File extensions for ANTLR 3

Kay Roepke kroepke at classdump.org
Thu Nov 30 16:05:00 PST 2006

On 1. Dec 2006, at 0:46 , Jim Idle wrote:

> Hang on a mo ;-). When I proposed extensions (and I have adopted
> them and encoded them into the visual studio plug-in), everyone
> moaned and said they only wanted to use .g3 and only optionally. So
> we agreed that I would use the extensions I proposed:

Damn! I missed that opportunity to moan ;) Seriously, that discussion
somehow escaped me. strange.
So, if you use those extensions already, for the next beta release
I'll pick them up, too. Unless of course we want to use creator codes
and resource forks and leave non-Mac users out in the cold :P

> .g3l
> .g3p
> .g3pl (or .g3 or .g)
> .g3t
>
> For visual studio if you wanted to use the plugin, but that we
> would not force it upon anyone. If we are now going to change our
> minds, then can we at least use the extensions I proposed.

yup, they are as good as any.

> I don't support T.g3t -> T.java in general as it is not orthogonal.
> But, whatever ;-)

Yeah, sorta. It has bugged me to have the TreeParser suffix, but
after all it's just a name, so I don't care too deeply. Nice to have
a system to it, I agree.

Still, I'm against forcing the extensions onto users. We can advise
and tell people that some tools won't be able to work properly if
they ignore the advice, but force? No need.
ANTLR could generate .g3l lexers for combined grammars to find its
own file, but other than that it shouldn't care. This is a
documentation issue, IMHO.

cheers,
-k
--