[antlr-interest] philosophy about translation

Paul Johnson gt54-antlr at cyconix.com
Wed Oct 11 03:43:41 PDT 2006

Loring Craymer wrote:
> There is a 2-3 year cycle on these discussions; you may not have been
> around for the last one.  Visitors have their uses; however, they lack
> the recognition capabilities of grammars.  They also become irrelevant
> for ANTLR 3--it is easier to iterate over a TreeNodeStream.

There is, if I can quote, no "one true solution". Visitors will never
become irrelevant, however much the tool evolves. As for ANTLR 3, which
I haven't tried yet - if it removes the need for me to code and maintain
5 different tree grammars, which is what I need for my 8 passes, then
I'm all ears.

Paul