[antlr-interest] Newbie questions

Adnan Siddiqi volatil3_ at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 01:55:33 PDT 2007

Hi all

I just joined the list as well as started exploring ANTLR. I had studied
compiler construction back in 98 during university days so trying my best ti
get familiar with relevant things. I also admit i was not so good at
Compiler Construction course in uni but since now I have been assigned some
work so I have to take it seriously

I am going thru the tutorial by "JavaDude". So far so good!. What I have
learnt so far that ANTLR just helps you to create grammer and generate
equivalent Parse code in Java language. The thnig which is very confusion
for me that how to extract data after successful parsing?

Let me explain you further that I have to create a SQL QUERY like language
for a web portal where different 'custom objects' would be add/retrieved by
using SQL like language. for example:

"Select objModule from Module Respositoary where @type='entertainment' "

now lets suppose i successfully generate grammer and parse as well by using
ANTLR generated code. Now How do I pick required 'objModule' of type
='entertainment'? can ANTLR allows to make custom functions  which should be
parsed after successful parsing? if not then should I pick values from
SYMBOL TABLE?

Please clarify this to me. I would be greatful to you.

/A