[antlr-interest] Cannot understand why interpreter accepts bad input...

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 17:38:58 PST 2007

On 12/8/07, Bern.McCarty at bentley.com <Bern.McCarty at bentley.com> wrote:
> I'm concluding that I should not prototype/modify/develop my grammar by
> doing edit/interpret cycles.  It is just messing me up.  I guess I have
> to use edit/debug instead.

I reached this conclusion as well. IMHO the interpreter should come
with a big warning that its results are *not* to be trusted. I wasted
several hours before I realised that the interpreter simply doesn't
handle syntactic or semantic predicates *at all*.

And since the debugger works so well, I'm not sure I really see the
point of the interpreter. It's quicker to launch, but the range of
grammars it can correctly handle is so small, it's not usually worth
it.

Steve