[antlr-interest] Uploading grammar on ANTLR website

shmuel siegel antlr at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Tue Dec 18 04:22:39 PST 2007

Wigg, J D wrote:
> I want to upload the latest version of the C++ grammar file
> (CPP_parser.g etc.) onto the ANTLR website.
>
> I think this is usually done using a *.zip file.
>
> However, I think this maybe a problem for some users who do not have
> usable copies of Winzip so they would not be able to unzip the file.
>
> My first question is, can *.zip files be a problem for some users?
>
> In any case it would seem better to upload a self-extracting zip file
> (which I think the standard WinZip program (V.9?) can produce) so my
> second question is, will uploading a self extracting file (eg.
> CPP_parser_v_3.2.exe) be acceptable on the ANTLR website?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

The self extraction exe is very likely Windows centric. That eliminates
other platforms. Besides, Windows XP comes with the ability to extract
zip files. Also, there are free programs like 7zip to perform the
extraction.

Zip files seem like a much better choice since there are free extractors
available for most platforms.