[antlr-interest] Antlr and Visual Studio

Dykes, Gene GDykes at acsisinc.com
Thu Dec 20 09:58:10 PST 2007

We have this application in production that uses Antlr 2.7.  (Antlr was
a major factor in the creation of this successful product.)  While
upgrading the application, I also tried upgrading to Antrl 3.0.1, only
to find that the CSharp runtime seems to be broken.  Is this true?  Does
nobody use Antlr 3.0.1 with C# on Visual Studio?  The symptom is that
the ANTRLInputStream constructor hangs.  I found while googling that a
couple others had reported the same problem, but there appeared to be no
response offering a solution.

Interestingly, one of my google hits was some source code written by
Kunle Odutola that contains this test case (note the name of the
method):

[Test]

                public void TestANTLRInputStreamConstructorDoesNotHang()

                {

                                Encoding encoding = Encoding.Unicode;

                                byte[] grammarStrBuffer =
encoding.GetBytes(grammarStr);

                                MemoryStream grammarStream = new
MemoryStream(grammarStrBuffer);

                                ANTLRInputStream input = new
ANTLRInputStream(grammarStream, encoding);

                }

Using that same sequence of statements hangs when I try it.

If somebody knows the status of this problem or could point out what
bone-headed thing I might be doing wrong, I would appreciate it.

 -- gene

Any e-mail communication originating from Acsis Inc (or Acsis GmbH), is intended for business purposes only and its use is explicitly intended for the addressed recipient only.  This e-mail communication may also contain information that may be considered confidential or protected by law.  If you received this e-mail and are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any use (including the copying or distributing) of this communication, in part, or in whole, is strictly prohibited by law.  If the case, you are formally requested to then notify the originator at Acsis Inc. (or Acsis GmbH), by return e-mail and to delete this e-mail from your mail system.  Additionally, unless explicitly designated this e-mail does not constitute to represent a formal binding contract under law.  Finally, the receipt of this e-mail communication does not constitute a consent to the use of the originators contact information for any direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.