[antlr-interest] Lexer and Parser class packaging

Jim Idle jimi at intersystems.com
Mon Feb 5 17:26:33 PST 2007

From: antlr-interest-bounces at antlr.org
[mailto:antlr-interest-bounces at antlr.org] On Behalf Of Brian DeVries

> I'm in agreement with one of my undergrad professors, Dr. Daniel
Cooke: programming languages should be adapted to people, not the other
way around (paraphrase).

While recognizing that the statement is meant to be qualified and is
aimed in limited sense, nevertheless, taken to its logical conclusion,
this would mean that languages should be full of incorrect and
incomplete grammar and slang, be oblivious to spelling mistakes and just
guess, and automatically email error messages to the next person up some
arbitrary line of seniority with a subject of "Can you tell me how to
fix this because I can't be bothered to look it up myself", while
cross-posting to comp.* along similar lines and reporting "Don't do
anything for the next 4 days while someone else sorts it out for you" to
the programmer. The compiler should also "know what you meant" and
optimize the code like that. While we are at it, best we have "loop
until done/while not finished" and all the classic rest ;-)

Just kidding of course*

Jim

*Mostly.