[antlr-interest] [v3] Lack of documentation

Harald Wellmann Harald.Wellmann at gmx.de
Sun Jul 1 03:32:47 PDT 2007

Getting started with ANTLR v3 is a frustrating experience for its lack of
coherent documentation and non-trivial example code.

I've been using ANTLR since the good old times when it used to be called
PCCTS, and I always used to be fond of it, but I am disappointed with v3.

Marketing-style hype about the latest cool features does not really help
when you get no little or no information on how to use them.

Even v2 documentatation was a bit scarce, it always cost you some trial and
error to get things right, but this was bliss compared to the scattered and
incomplete bits of documentation you get for v3.

Yes, I know there's a book now. And no, I don't think it's in the spirit of
 a successful open source project to hide all relevant information in a
book that is only available commercially.

There's nothing wrong about books, but you can publish a book and still
make the information publicly available, see e.g. the Subversion Book.

By the way, even this mailing list is inaccessible to most people in a
corporate IT environment, as the Mailman Frontend is running on a
non-standard port 8080 which tends to get blocked by firewalls.

Regards,

Harald