[antlr-interest] [v3] Lack of documentation

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Tue Jul 3 04:48:10 PDT 2007

Hi,

> Ter can do no wrong, eh? Fanboys... sheesh...

Resorting to Ad Honimem isn't particularly helpful.

> Quite simply, I am saying the following:
>
> * I am _not_, nor did I, "demand" anything
> * The basic docs of the tool are not free

They are. What with the wiki, the list archives, the website (particularly
Ter's v3 dev blogs spanning a couple of years), the copious source
comments....

> * The tool isn't completely usable without the book

There are a number of posts to the list (that *predate* this thread) by
users forging ahead without the book.

> * Therefore, claiming ANTLR is open source is wrong

Only problem is that ANTLR v3 *is* open source. The source is available
under a very permissive license as you know.

> At the point I was writing the eclipse plugin for v3, I
> couldn't find the info I needed for a few things anywhere
> *but* the book.

What information in particular?. I'm genuinely interested as I may encounter
the same issues as you have.

> I didn't mind supporting Ter's work, so I bought the book.
>
> I saw this thread and decided to add my 2c, in a very civil
> manner. Ter jumped all over my ass, and the fanboys are
> spinning like crazy.

I agree that some of the exchanges have been somewhat personal....and that's
a shame. I've found using ANTLR to be a much more civilized affair than
hacking with Lex/Yacc-style tools.

Micheal