[antlr-interest] NoViableAltException

Lloyd Dupont ld at galador.net
Sun Jul 8 03:24:32 PDT 2007

Good point!
I hope something can be done :D
But I fear it might not...
  I built a simplistic C# parser that ignores statements blocks and handles only declarations. The target output language is C#.
  When I parse a moderate size file 500K ( the atnlr parser output ;) ) it takes 5 seconds and a lot of NoViableAltException are raised and handled by the parser.
  The parsing is successfull, but as we know, exception raising in .NET comes with a big cost. I think there is a big performance hit in using Exceptions to handle failures instead of old Winapi style return codes.
  Is anything that can be done about it?