[antlr-interest] Comments on ANTLR book

Liviu U liviu.u at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 13:38:22 PDT 2007

I am dissapointed by the book.

Why? because the examples are not really helping. The easy concepts are easy
to grasp without the book and the advanced ones lack adequate examples.

If i were Ter, i would have constructed with the book a complex parser, for
let's say SQL. I would have touched all the features of ANTLR and showed HOW
CONCEPTS are applied.

When I have problems, I google for it, when dispair comes I post here ...
but i feel i don't have a complete example where i can look and even
"borrow" some patterns.

And I feel this is exactly what is lacking to the ANTLR project: a very good
HELP that is targeted to the beginners, and that goes step by step.

Most of the times I either find too complex things or too simple ones.

PS: ANTLR3 is fantastic, even with its bugs. ANTLRWorks is so slow on
windows...