[antlr-interest] (newbie problem) rewrite rule question

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Tue Jul 10 19:01:33 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 18:52, ali azimi wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   My parser has been produced by the antlr. The word "return" has
> also been produced by the grammar. I do not understand why it should
> complain about it. What should I change it to? it sounds complicated.

Perhaps ANTLR does not modify Java keywords such as "return" and hence
syntax error chaos ensues?

I did a quick check by adding this production to a working grammar of
mine:

return
    :   'return'
    ;

ANTLR does not complain when I apply it to the grammar with this
addition. However, when Ant runs javac on the result produced by ANTLR,
this results:

    [javac] Compiling 3 source files to /dar/tau/obj
    [javac] /dar/tau/src/tau/cl/CLIFParser.java:3235: <identifier> expected
    [javac]     public final return_return return() throws RecognitionException {
    [javac]                               ^
    [javac] /dar/tau/src/tau/cl/CLIFParser.java:3235: <identifier> expected
    [javac]     public final return_return return() throws RecognitionException {
    [javac]                                                                    ^
    [javac] 2 errors