[antlr-interest] Size Limits?

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 11 16:20:26 PDT 2007

I decided to test how fast I could anticipate my new ANTLR v3 grammar
running on real problems without factoring in output time.

I created an internally generated String with over a million characters and
it ran so fast ( on a several years old 3 GHz Dell running Windows XP) that
I could barely time it!  However, when I tried to increase the size of the
String I (not surprisingly) eventually got a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.

This experience led me to wonder whether there is recommended or standard
ANTLR strategy for handling large files.

Susan