[antlr-interest] Can't see the wood

Paul Keir paul at paulkeir.com
Tue Jul 17 15:58:48 PDT 2007

Hi,

I've been using ANTLR for a few months now. I have the book, and the
ANTLRWorks IDE has been, and continues to be, really really helpful.

 From time to time though I have to admit to being absolutely lost with
respect to ANTLR's backtracking. For example, using NetBeans I often
find I am catching breakpoints more times than I would expect. I have
tried to simplify my Action code placement by mainly using the @after
and @init sections. Nevertheless, on quite a few occasions I find that
beyond mere breakpoints, my Action code actually does run more times
than I expected. My workaround methods are fairly random, and as of yet
I have no repeatable procedure for dealing with them.

I am sorry this is a bit vague - if I could find a small example problem
I'd post it. How about a tip, an idea, some insight..._anything_ I may,
at a high level, be overlooking or misunderstanding.

Thanks,
Paul