[antlr-interest] Can't see the wood (@init and @after)

Paul Keir paul at paulkeir.com
Thu Jul 19 07:40:06 PDT 2007

Hi Susan,

I tried it again just to be sure, and got the same result. If in the C.g
file of the C project from the java ANTLR examples, I augment line 354's
'expression' rule with two println calls, i.e.

expression

@init { System.out.println("a"); }
    : { System.out.println(" b"); } assignment_expression (','
assignment_expression)*
    ;

And then build and run the generated parser on the 'input' data, I find
that I get a lot more letter 'a's output than letter 'b's. I don't
understand why that is, but at least I have this example to hopefully
learn from.

It's interesting that you can't repeat this. Perhaps someone else can,
or help me to an understanding.

Cheers,
Paul