[antlr-interest] ANTLR for syntax-directed editors

Gerald B. Rosenberg gbr at newtechlaw.com
Tue Jul 24 22:19:37 PDT 2007

You may wish to look at Eclipse for design if not to use as a
framework for implementation.  The JDT contains a rather
high-performance AST based syntax directed editor with interactive
content dependent completion assist mechanism.

To the specific question of querying, ANTLR is quite fast, so having
an instance repeatedly do a full lex and parse of short phrases, to
produce a suggestion list, is not much of a burden between
keystrokes.  Can be shortcut further by filtering for significant
keystrokes that signal a likely change or narrowing of the suggestion list.