[antlr-interest] Book review

Phil Oliver antlr at olivercomputing.com
Tue Jun 5 14:25:56 PDT 2007

I just posted this review to Amazon, FYI.

------------------

ANTLR (http://www.antlr.org/) is a useful free tool to create
combined lexer/parsers for a given formal grammar definition,
integrated with customized target language code. This book, written
by the author of ANTLR, covers version 3, a recent rewrite of the
system. Writing complex grammars is not an easy task, and ANTLR
itself has its own difficulties; there is online documentation but
it's not as detailed. I've only just started to use ANTLR as part of
a larger project. Although I haven't yet read 100% of the book, the
parts that I've read to date already justify the purchase. My chief
complaint is that the index seems a bit weak (incomplete).

The bottom line is this: if you plan to spend any significant time
with ANTLR v3, the book is an indispensable resource that will easily
pay for itself.