[antlr-interest] Possible Antlr defect?

Martin d'Anjou martin.danjou at neterion.com
Mon Jun 11 05:50:39 PDT 2007

> Hi Guys... thanks for the analysis.  I have added an improvement report:
>
> http://www.antlr.org:8888/browse/ANTLR-136

If I may add my two cents...

There are 3 places where humans expect errors in compiled langauges:
1- compile time, catches mostly syntax
2- linking, catches mostly unresolved references
3- runtime, catches bad algorithms

Human programmers are "wired" to assume runtime errors are caused by bad
algorithms or improper data content. The error we are talking about here
(dynamically defined token) shows up as 3), runtime, but really is a type
1), syntax error. I think this is why it takes so long for users to
realize the mistake.

Martin