[antlr-interest] What is $Symbols

Paul Keir paul at paulkeir.com
Mon Jun 25 07:00:24 PDT 2007

$Symbols is a stack of 'Symbols_scope' objects. 'Symbols_scope' is
defined as a protected class within the antlr-generated *Parser.java code.

My problem is that as my class is defined in its own file (to permit
step-debugging), I have a problem informing it about 'Symbols_scope'.
i.e. If I add a 'Symbols_scope' cast to the my_method example from before...

public void my_method(Stack sym) {
  for (Object depth : sym)
    ((Symbols_scope)depth).types.add("hello");   // e.g.
}

...I am of course told that 'Symbols_scope' symbol cannot be found. Can anyone help?

(my_method is called from within my grammar with 'o.my_method($Symbols);')

Many thanks,
Paul