[antlr-interest] Understanding the ANTLRworks Debugger's Parse TreeDisplay

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Tue Jun 26 16:55:02 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 16:16, Diehl, Matthew J wrote:
> Yes, as far as I've read, you're on track. ...
>
> There's a huge section in the book from page 336 to 341 that talks
> all about this and more.  I highly recommend getting it. It has
> pictures too

Yes. Pictures printed in monochrome! I guess I'll have to get the PDF
version of the book, as well. Call me old fashioned, but I like paper.
Then again, searching in PDFs is handy, too.

> :)   So the multiple trees come from running through the predicates
> to see if it should take that path (hence why it's only part of the
> black tree), and then it runs through the rule to create the 'real'
> sub tree.

If I understand correctly, then it also gives an indication of how much
redundant parsing is done to resolve the ambiguities handled via
backtracking.

> Matt

Randall Schulz