[antlr-interest] mailing list reply-to address

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Tue Mar 6 13:10:06 PST 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 12:59 , Johannes Luber wrote:

> The problem with that is, that I tend to forget to look if the
> recipient
> is the list or the human whom I reply. Then I end sending the email
> twice, if I notice my mistake. I simply expect that a reply will be
> sent
> to the mailing list unless I interfere. That's how any other other
> mailing list works, I've subscribed to.

Sadly, it's not. Most mailing lists send the reply to the original
poster, not the list. There's a long argument for this behavior, that
I disagree with: http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

I also think the RFCs are, at the very least, open to interpretation.
In fact, I think the RFCs suggest reply-to should go to the list. It
does much more to encourage the community spirit of a list.

I apologize in advance for contributing to an off-topic discussion.

--
Rick