[antlr-interest] mailing list reply-to address

Anthony W. Youngman antlr at thewolery.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 12:17:14 PDT 2007

In message <20070308074914.820EE1906F1 at www.antlr.org>, Gavin Lambert
<antlr at mirality.co.nz> writes
>At 10:10 7/03/2007, Rick Mann wrote:
>>
>>Sadly, it's not. Most mailing lists send the reply to the
>>original poster, not the list. There's a long argument for
>>this behavior, that I disagree with:
>>http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
>Like it says, though, all mailers have both a Reply and a Reply To All
>button.  Without rewriting the Reply-To header, both buttons do what
>they say, and I can choose whether I want to send a private reply or a
>public reply with ease.  If the list rewrites the header, both buttons
>do exactly the same thing and I've lost the option to send a private
>reply (without tweaking the headers manually).  Thereby removing
>functionality, which is a bad thing.

Actually, not all mailers have "reply to all" and/or honour an attempt
to do so.

For example, I'm using Turnpike (which is anal about following rfc's)
and I don't have a "reply all" option for my antlr mails. However, it
does recognise it as a mailing list, and gives me the options "reply to
list" or "reply to author". It won't, however, let me do both at once as
some lists require/encourage/permit.

Another list I'm on, when posting in LookOut, does as you say makes both
buttons reply to the list. However, in Turnpike, I think it gets it
correct, and "reply to author" does exactly that ...

So yup, everything is broke in various ways, but your blanket
assumptions about how it's broke are broke too :-)

Cheers,
Wol
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony at thewolery.demon.co.uk