[antlr-interest] token query

Paul Keir paul at paulkeir.com
Fri May 11 07:02:36 PDT 2007

Hi there,

First of all, please excuse the newbie. I have read the available docs
and tuts; and intend to buy the antlr book. For now though, I have what
I hope is a simple question.

In the code below, is there a way I can remove the 3 quoted strings in
the rule 'my_rule'? - they seem a little redundant. I'm thinking,
perhaps there's a way to use something _like_ {$name =
tokens.STRING1.getName();}

One other thing, is [String name=null] now permitted? It seems to compile.

Many thanks and best regards,
Paul

tokens {
   STRING1='string1';
   STRING2='string2';
   STRING3='string3';
}

my_rule returns [String name]
@init {
   name=null; // for now you must init here rather than in 'returns'
}
   :   (    'string1' {$name = "string1";}
       |    'string2' {$name = "string2";}
       |    'string3' {$name = "string3";}