[antlr-interest] ANTLRworks stability?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 21:33:59 PST 2007

Just wondering if I'm the only one for whom ANTLRworks is very
unstable. I'm running v1.1.4 on Windows XP, on two different machines,
and on both it freezes up very often on my main grammar project (300
lines or so). In fact, at the moment, I can basically load it, make a
tweak, debug it *once*, then the next time I debug, it will freeze.
Shut down the java window, reload, start again.

Is there anything I can do to improve its stability? Would running on
VMware help, and if so, which is the best platform?

It generally seems to be  freezing in the "generating code" phase,
about halfway through - the window gradually becomes more and more
unresponsive before it finally stops responding altogether.

If stability is a general problem, how do most people develop with
ANTLR? Do you just forego ANTLRWorks altogether except for small
tests?

ANTLRWorks reports:
ANTLR: 3.0.1
StringTemplate: 3.1b1
XLibrary: 2.0
Java: 1.6.0_03 (I also have J2SE runtime environment 5.0 update 9 installed)

Thanks for any suggestions.
Steve