[antlr-interest] replacing NoViableAltException with exception with less stack

Jochen Theodorou blackdrag at gmx.org
Mon Sep 10 12:43:27 PDT 2007

Hi,

we (Groovy team) have currently several performance problems with our
grammar. The resulting Parser is a bit too slow for our needs and we are
now looking for a way to make it faster. The grammar is a big and
complicated beast and I am sure there are many places we can make it better.

But one thing that would speed up the whole thing a little is to remove
that stack trace used by the NoViableAltException. I can do that and if
we don't want to debug the grammar itself, then we don't need that trace
at all. but of course such a change would be removed by the next grammar
creation.

Is there a way to influence the generator to do that they way I want?

Note: atm antlr 3.0 is no option

thanks, blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou