[antlr-interest] invalid char literal: 65535?

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Tue Sep 11 14:31:44 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 14:17, Carleton Coffrin wrote:
> In ANTLR 3, when I add the character '\uFFFF' to my lexer I receive
> the following error message,
>
> error(10):  internal error:
> org.antlr.tool.Grammar.getCharValueFromGrammarCharLiteral(Grammar.jav
>a:1514): invalid char literal: 65535
>
> Any ideas on how I might fix this?

What do you want to fix? That is not a valid Unicode code point.
According to the tome I have ("The Unicode Standard, version 3.0" by
the Unicode Consortium):

(page 23)

"* Two codes are not used to encode characters :U+FFFF is for reserved
internal user (as a sentinel) and should not be transmitted or stored
as part of plain text. U+FFFE is also reserved; its presence indicates
byte-swapped Unicode data."

> -Carleton
>
> Note: '\uFFFF' worked in ANTLR 2.7

Standards conformance improves?