[antlr-interest] autocompletion based on grmmar

Chris Dew cmsdew at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 8 00:03:17 PDT 2008

I'm looking at the possibility of creating an autocompleter.  I know I can
build this from scratch, but I was wondering if antlr would make this
easier.

Basically, I'll be building a function, which given an incomplete (or
correct, but extendable) sentence in a grammar, will return zero or more
suggestions as to how to complete the next token.  It could also return more
information, for example: the next possible token type(s).

Any pointers to examples of doing this with antlr (java, c or python) would
be a help.

I'm sure people have done similar things for IDEs.  They can't be magic.

Thanks,

Chris.