[antlr-interest] Build errors for ANTLR 3.13

Matt Benson gudnabrsam at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 09:37:19 PDT 2008

--- Christian Schladetsch
<christian.schladetsch at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a `clean` target for the ant script.
>
> But the recursive nature of ANTLR makes this tricky.
> As Dr. Parr has pointed
> out, the latest release is self-referential and
> needs `version 3 grammars`.
> I guess that is from a previous version 3, as my
> belief system requires that
> a thing cannot use itself to create itself. Of
> course, a thing can use an
> older version of itself to make itself, that's fine,
> but the latest 'builds'
> are something else.
>
> Which makes it really hard for us grunts. I am a
> C++/C#/C/Asm guy trying to
> meet deadlines. I am not a Java/Ant guy.
>
> Sure, so it sucks to be me. Even so, I am not an
> idiot and it has been a
> real pain to get a build up and running. Generated
> code from 3.1 is crashing
> on VS2008 and I don't know if it's my grammar or
> because of the build
> kludges I put in (like, *deleting* files from the
> release package).
>
> It would be fine except I need a C++ target so I am
> using Jim's 3.1 C
> runtime. But that means java -> C -> C++ burdened
> with build issues. I know
> this is bleeding edge, and I am used to that (I am
> in game-dev) but at least
> the builds should build?
>
> I have utmost respect for Dr. Parr and his work, and
> for all the other
> contributers. But if builds cannot be built
> out-of-the-box there is
> something deeply wrong. Is there a build maintainter
> for this project? The

I am the de facto maintainer of the Ant build.
Terence manages his own builds for himself, as he is
not a fan of Ant.  Unfortunately I haven't been as
able to keep abreast of everything as I'd like,
however.

So to get this back together... the only v3 grammar I
find in the 3.0.1 release tree that needs to be built
in ActionAnalysis.g.  Is that correct, Ter?

-Matt