[antlr-interest] how to pronounce "antlr"?

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Sun Apr 27 06:58:32 PDT 2008

On Sunday 27 April 2008 06:51, Johannes Luber wrote:
> Randall R Schulz schrieb:
>   > And just yesterday I heard a professor talking on the BBC
>   > pronouncing
> >
> > Linux with a hard 'i'. She said it several times, so wasn't a slip.
> > I though we left that one behind years ago.
>
> A hard 'i'? What is that? Like 'ea' in 'easy'? Or like 'eye'? And
> what is the correct way to pronounce Linux? In Germany people say
> "Leanoocks".

A hard 'i' is like the one in "like" or "wipe" or "nice." (It is
actually a diphthong—two distinct vowels merged into a single vowel
sound.)

There used to be an audio file out on the Web with Linus himself
pronouncing Linux.

Naturally, pronunciation will vary from place to place, but I think only
the uninitiated will pronounce Linux with a hard 'i'.

> Johannes

Randall Schulz