[antlr-interest] Use of index attribute in tree gramar

Bernardo Elayda belayda at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 15:12:29 PDT 2008

Hi!

Shouldn't this rule which uses the token attribute 'index' result in
compilable code in Java:

expression : ^(p='+' expression expression)
                { $statement::plus.add( $p.token.index); }
                | NUMBER
                | IDENTIFIER
                ;

When the above code is compiled with javac , javac complains that index
can't be found.  Technically, that's true since 'index' is protected in the
CommonToken class. The workaround to this problem is to use
$p.token.getTokenIndex().  Is that a feature?  To be consistant with other
places I've used token attributes, I expected $p.token.index to work.

thx in advance!
-Bernardo Elayda